More busy than busy bees, we're once again here to announce the immediate availability of Sabayon 8 in all of its tier-1 flavours. If you really enjoyed Sabayon 7, this is just another step towards World domination.
Letting bleeding edge and reliability to coexist is the most outstanding challenge our users, our team, is faced every day.
There you have it, shining at full bright, for your home computer, your laptop and your home servers.
Linux 3.2, GNOME 3.2.2, KDE 4.7.4 (4.8.0 available in testing repo), Xfce 4.8, LibreOffice 3.4.4 are just some of the things you will find inside the box.
During this cycle, we spent a lot of time optimizing critical packages at compiler level, ensuring unprecedented performances, tuning system responsivity under load and backporting power management patches.
What you find here is Sabayon GNOME, KDE, Xfce, SpinBase (bare-metal flavour for building your own ISO images), ServerBase (same but with server-optimized kernel) and CoreCDX, for those liking Fluxbox.
- The first and best way to try a Gentoo-based Linux distribution at its full power, with all working out-of-the-box and no compilation needed at all
- The first Extreme-Rolling Release distribution, with automated repository package version bumping, thanks to Entropy Matter ebuild tracker
- Faster, cleaner and more evolved than any other rolling distro out there: we work hard to bring you the most stable rolling release experience
- Keep up-to-date your system in minutes while maintaining full Gentoo Portage compatibility
- Focusing on performance: GCC 4.6 with Graphite Loop Transformation infrastructure and Link Time Optimizations enabled
- Always up-to-date Linux Kernel 3.2 (and experimental "Fusion" Kernels available in repositories)
- Providing extra Server-oriented Linux kernels (OpenVZ, Vserver, Generic Server)
- Natively supporting the btrfs filesystem (besides ext4, aufs, and others)
- Transform Sabayon into an full-featured HTPC Operating System (Media Center) using XBMC 10.1 (11.0 available soon)
- GNOME 3.2.2 Visual Environment
- KDE 4.7.4 Desktop Environment (4.8.0 available in a few days)
- Improved Xfce 4.8 out-of-the-box experience (for those missing GNOME2)
- Improved LibreOffice integration, updated to 3.4.4
- Migrated to libav as ffmpeg replacement
- Migrated to Java 7 and Subversion 1.7
- Cinnamon and Razor Qt available in repositories
- Entropy Framework (Package Manager, Web Services) updated to 1.0_rc86, consolidating stability and performance
- Support for IME and non-roman fonts at install time
- Support for non-latin languages at install time
- More than 12000 packages available for x86_64, i686
- ARMv7 versions already available, with more than 2000 packages ready to be installed